Thursday, August 25, 2005

Filing returns, and all that jazz

"You kick me like a dog and expect me to smile? You remind me of a jackass." Those words accompanied by the sound of shattering glass used to send us (a weekly gathering of budding wrestlers) into raptures. Enter Stone Cold Steve Austin with his no-nonsense brash attitude. A Quick stunner and he's off, a two minute appearence to satisfy audiences who'd been waiting for an hour. But that was not all, we awaited the arrival of the Great One, the Show Stopper. After a flamboyant smackdown and a people's elbow, the Rock had made his appearence. And we were satisfied. That was a long time ago. I've long since stopped watching WWF.

Trump cars were a manic craze during the early nineties. Yes, it was almost a decade ago! We used to cheat, make secret markings on favourite cards, hide the super-trump up our sleeves - to be produced only when the opponents ace was played. That fad also faded.

Cricket was as important as eating. Irrespective of the searing chennai heat, we played on well past noon having started at day break. Stopping periodically to appease parents who insisted that we eat. But soon the grounds grew small and the times where we used to struggle to clear the boundary passed. A six every other ball was no fun. We went in search of larger stadia.

An evening at the beach with friends became routine. Reminiscing on days gone by, of school and the fact that we were all leaving for good. Then we left.

College was fantastic. Three years gone by too soon. It was another world. Where we lived with gay abandon until the month of Feburary and then did the needful.

This is beginning to become random but the initial resolve to post is fading...nevertheless....let it not be said that George shied away....

I took up the mantle of the working man. Fresh out of college and hopelessly trapped inbetween. To my juniors I was 'earning'. To my colleagues I was still the fresher.

Anyways, to cut a long rambling short, I filed my tax returns today. The IRS can now monitor me. I have to save extraordinary amounts if I want to save on paying tax. I have to make tax saving investments that can be reclaimed only 15 years later. I have a PAN number.

Gone are the days when an F-16 meant just a fancy fighter jet and nothing else.

11 Comments:

At 9:56 am, Blogger Yohan said...

Interestingly, you start "fading" in a post about fading. So it all makes sense actually...

Another victim of the bittersweet nostalgia bug.

 
At 1:36 am, Blogger The_UndeaD_ said...

Atlast some new blood to drink...slrrrrrp..Aaaaaaah....yeah Nostalgia is cool...I am not totally into it but I did have a nostalgic trip yesterday...

I went shopping with my folks to a Souk, got some pants, tried convincing my dad to buy me a 5 KD digicam (Dirt cheap!!).I got a earful about my age and that I wasnt a baby anymore and that I should buy HIM a digicam.

What followed was a long period of silence where my wandering pondering mind grabbed an event in Yohans room with great lucidity.It was on a day in our second year(the Greatest of all the Years!).Jakka was damn funny and irritating at the same time...Everyone loved him and wanted to bite his balls off at the same time...

I think there was a Sinha discussion going on...
George was there, Tommy, Yohan and some other folks(mebbe Talwar and Mathew or Tuvok)...The mood was serious...and then Jakka walked in...For some reason Georges mouth watered at the sight of Jakka and he bared his fangs...and then promptly pounced on Jakka..and started Knoodling(??) Jakkas head with his fist...I felt a sudden thirst for Jakkas blood too and charged and punched him in the ass. I dont rem clearly what happened. I rem everyone was laughing like crazy when this shit started. Jakka took his cornered wild animal form. And we backed off and started laughing at the comic rantings of Jakka .

Hmmmm...Anywez tomorrow at this time I ll be in Sweet old Beautiful India...With a life so happening I wont need to blog(hopefully!)
...dont worry I ll be back with u guys in two weeks...tkc..cyanora suckers!

 
At 6:56 am, Blogger Yohan said...

George you stud! You're on the Cricinfo Who's Who and all. Gooogling you gives several different results.

All hail Georgie Boy!

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger George said...

hehehe..thanks man yohan...seeing ur name on google is a nice feeling. and how the hell did you find the who's who page??

madhu ur memory is warped man..i dont remember any incident along those lines. i never attack unles provoked!

 
At 5:16 am, Blogger Vaibhav said...

DOn't lie, man! I bet you still watch wrestling!

I just know it!

 
At 12:17 pm, Anonymous divir said...

hulo thr..did u figure out whether IMenvironment was creating the hassle or was it something else??

 
At 5:18 am, Blogger Yohan said...

What Madhu mentioned actually happened George.

 
At 8:00 pm, Blogger Ms. V said...

I still play with my Trump cards sometimes :p

And to some people, F-16 will never mean anything; probably only that it's 4 numbers too short to make it onto a keyboard!

 
At 8:05 am, Blogger Yohan said...

CHeck this article out.

 
At 8:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

 
At 3:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home